Teachers’ Development Centre
129 G Block 2 PECHS Karachi 75400
Phone: 34310217 E-mail: email@example.com
BRIEF ACCOUNT OF QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING EXPERIENCE
- M. A. in English Literature from University of Karachi, 1977
- M. Ed. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Manchester University, 1986
- Lecturer/Assistant Professor (1983-1992) Department of English, University of Karachi.
- Senior Instructor (1993 to 1995) Institute for Educational Development, Aga Khan University, Karachi.
Attended Educational Development Programs at:
During this time, I was responsible for the curriculum, the readings, the delivery of the lectures, and the assessments of the students. Obviously, the Course changed a lot in the 19 years that I taught it, even as my own vision broadened.
- Boston College, 2010
- University of Illinois, Chicago, 1998 American Studies
- University of Louisville, Kentucky, 1996 Portfolio Writing
- University of Toronto, Canada, 1994 Collegiality
- University of Pittsburgh,1994 Classroom Management
- 25th TESOL Conference, New York, USA,1991
- Consultant : PAF Finishing School for Women, PAF Base, Chaklala, 1996 to date
- My major contribution is the Spiritual Enrichment class where I deal with a Model of Islam and offer ways of thinking about the Quran and the Prophet that are in consonance with the traditional sources and modernity. A description of the Model can be found in A CONFIRMED VISION, a paper read by
me at the National Seminar Hazara Society of Science and Religious Dialogue, in September 2003
Conducted Training Workshops for:
Language Workshops for Corporate Sector: (among others)
- Air Weapons Complex Mansehra, on Personal Effectiveness, 2005.
- Aitchison College Lahore
- Amattullah Aai Institute of Teacher Education
- Bay View School
- Saifiyah Girls High School
- Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Youth Development Program
- British Council
- Department of Visual Studies, University of Karachi
- Frobel School
- Habib Public School
- Higher Education Commission, Islamabad
- Indus Resource Centre, Khairpur
- LGS Lahore
- Making Change for School Improvement: A Simulation Game, British Council, 1998
- Ministry of Education, Abbottabad
- National Defense University, Islamabad
- National Institute of Public Administration,(NIPA) Karachi
- Oxford University Press, at Sargodha, Sialkot, Lahore, Multan
- Pakistan International Airlines Training Center, Karachi
- Pakistan Navy Staff College
- Pakistan School Muscat, Oman
- PAK-KIET University City Campus
- Roots School System
- Sindh Education Foundation
- Sky International School Mansehra, 2005
- Social Research Methods, for AGA KHAN FOUNDATION, Tajikistan at Dushanbe, September 2005
- Speaker at UK Pakistan School Leadership Conference at National College for School Leadership Nottingham UK May 2008
- Workshop on Money and Meaning of Life at TCS.
- Workshop on Spiritually Intelligent Leader- The Growth of a Human Being at Festival of Learning 2009
- Workshop on Team Building for Memon Professional Forum Annual Report
- SPELT at Karachi, Peshawer and other cities
- The Intelligent Study of Islam: Lectures in London, March 2000
- Trained Islamiat teachers in Houston and Dallas, USA, August 1999
- Training of Trainers at Aga Khan Foundation, Karachi, 1997
- Bank AL Habib Ltd.
- Byco Petroleum
- Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals
- Getz Pharma
- Pakistan International Airlines
- Philips Electrical
- State Bank of Pakistan
Television and Radio Appearances:
GEO TV INDUS TV SUN TV DAWN NEWS TV
I have also participated in a Radio Program at Houston (May 2001) where as Guest in Town on a Sunday morning, I addressed Pakistani parents on some ideas on parenting youth in the Age of Media. I speak both Urdu and English with native and near native fluency.
Invited as an Islamic Scholar for private and public gatherings on religious occasions since 1998. Note: In the INDUS TV I was a Guest of SHAZIA MARRI (presently Sindh Information Minister) where I answered live call-in questions on Islam and the Quran.
Conferences attended :
- Attended ASK Conference in Pretoria South Africa in May 2006
- Presentation on “The Multiple Intelligences” in Conference & Symposium on Quality Education Organized by Sindh Education Foundation Karachi in June 2005
- Conference on “Towards 2035: School of Tomorrow” by Beaconhouse School System on December 1st 2005
- Presentation on “The Media Crisis” and Panel Discussion on Transforming School for Learning & Diversity in the Conference on “Rediscovering Childhood” by Sindh Education Foundation in April 2006
- Guest Speaker at English Speaking Union, Islamabad on “Islam and Modernity” on April 10th 2006 in the presence of President General Pervaiz Musharaf.
- Digital Video Conferences on “Passing on Islam” with ISNA, USA
Papers read at:
- UNICEF Regional Workshop on CEDAW, Khatmandu, Nepal, March 1995
- Keynote speech: 13th IACTFLAP Conference, at Pakistan International Airlines, November 1995
- SPELT International Conferences: Papers and Workshops at Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Multan, Abbottabad, from 1987 to date
Publications: Over 38 items: Articles, books studies and poetry published in national press, and international journals.
- The Variety of Verbosity in Pakistan in World Englishes, Vol. 11, No. 1, March 1992, at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
- Al Islam- three textbooks for classes 6, 7 and 8: (with Khurram Shafiq) published by Oxford University Press Urdu, 1996
- Sindh Textbook Board English Book for class 7.
- Poems included in An Anthology of Pakistani Poetry, issued on the Golden Jubilee of Pakistan, Oxford University Press, 1997